The pesto vinaigrette is a perfect complement to the Mediterranean flavors in the salad!
Yield: Serves 8
Ingredients | Pesto Vinaigrette:
- 2 C. fresh basil leaves
- 1 C. fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 C. (100 g) pine nuts or walnuts
- 1 C. (250 ml) olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 C. (65 ml) vinegar
Ingredients | Salad:
- 1/2 C. (100 g) pine nuts, toasted
- 1/2 lb. (250 g) fresh baby spinach leaves or Romaine leaves (8-10 C.)
- 1 (10 oz./300 g) package frozen peas or green beans, thawed
- 1 C. (40 g) grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper as needed
1. Combine vinaigrette ingredients, except vinegar, in a food processor. Purée; remove 3/4 C. and set aside for the Pasta with Sautéed Vegetables. To the remaining vinaigrette, add the 1/4 C. vinegar.*
2. Toast the pine nuts for the salad in the oven or a skillet. Watch them carefully, and stir frequently so they don’t burn. Set aside to cool.
3. In a large bowl, combine spinach, peas, Par- mesan, and cooled pine nuts.
4. Drizzle with vinaigrette (the one with vinegar) and toss just before serving.
*If you cannot find fresh basil to make pesto, or you don’t have time to make it, you can substitute 1 1/2 C. (375 ml) prepared, store- bought pesto. Use 3/4 C. for the Pasta with Sautéed Vegetables and 1/4 C. vinegar to the other 3/4 C. for the salad dressing.
If you enjoyed this recipe you might want to purchase the PDF version of Debbie’s cookbook Around Our Table, a great way to keep your recipes handy no matter where you are in the world. For more information, go to http://ciaofromdebbie.com/cookbooks/
For additional recipes, please visit: http://ciaofromdebbie.com