Spinach Pesto Salad
The pesto vinaigrette is a perfect complement to the Mediterranean flavors in the salad!
Yield: Serves 8
Ingredients | Pesto Vinaigrette:
- 2 C. fresh basil leaves
- 1 C. fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 C. (100 g) pine nuts or walnuts
- 1 C. (250 ml) olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 C. (65 ml) vinegar
Ingredients | Salad:
- 1/2 C. (100 g) pine nuts, toasted
- 1/2 lb. (250 g) fresh baby spinach leaves or Romaine leaves (8-10 C.)
- 1 (10 oz./300 g) package frozen peas or green beans, thawed
- 1 C. (40 g) grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper as needed
1. Combine vinaigrette ingredients, except vinegar, in a food processor. Purée; remove 3/4 C. and set aside for the Pasta with Sautéed Vegetables. To the remaining vinaigrette, add the 1/4 C. vinegar.*
2. Toast the pine nuts for the salad in the oven or a skillet. Watch them carefully, and stir frequently so they don’t burn. Set aside to cool.
3. In a large bowl, combine spinach, peas, Par- mesan, and cooled pine nuts.
4. Drizzle with vinaigrette (the one with vinegar) and toss just before serving.
*If you cannot find fresh basil to make pesto, or you don’t have time to make it, you can substitute 1 1/2 C. (375 ml) prepared, store- bought pesto. Use 3/4 C. for the Pasta with Sautéed Vegetables and 1/4 C. vinegar to the other 3/4 C. for the salad dressing.
If you enjoyed this recipe you might want to purchase the PDF version of Debbie’s cookbook Around Our Table, a great way to keep your recipes handy no matter where you are in the world. For more information, go to http://ciaofromdebbie.com/cookbooks/
For additional recipes, please visit: http://ciaofromdebbie.com
About the authorView all articles by: Debbie Peck
26 September, 2017
19 September, 2017
12 September, 2017
05 September, 2017
29 August, 2017
22 August, 2017
15 August, 2017
08 August, 2017
01 August, 2017
25 July, 2017