Ice Cream Sundaes with Caramel Sauce
Is any dessert easier than ice cream? The homemade caramel sauce and toasted nuts make it special, though you can use purchased sauce.
Yield: serves 8+
- 1 C. (200 g) pecans or walnuts, lightly toasted in a skillet
- 1 C. (250 g) sugar
- 6 T. (85 g) butter, cut into large pieces
- 1/2 C. (125 ml) heavy cream
- 1 tsp. good quality vanilla
- pinch salt
- 1 quart/liter vanilla ice cream
- Sweetened whipped cream (or Cool Whip)
1. Have all ingredients ready before beginning Caramel Sauce.
2. In a heavy 2-3 quart/liter saucepan, brown 1 C. sugar, stirring constantly over medium-high heat. It will at first crystallize into lumps but will gradually liquefy. As soon as the sugar is amber-brown color, remove from heat.
3. Add the butter and stir until melted.
4. Gradually add the cream, stirring constantly. The mixture will foam up considerably so be sure to use a large enough pan. Stir in the vanilla and salt.
5. Cool in the pan for a few minutes, then pour into a jar or glass bowl. This will keep well for several weeks in the fridge. Warm the sauce before serv- ing over scoops of ice cream. Top with toasted nuts and whipped cream.
If you enjoyed this recipe you might want to purchase the PDF version of Debbie’s cookbook Around Our Table, a great way to keep your recipes handy no matter where you are in the world. For more information, go to http://ciaofromdebbie.com/cookbooks/
For additional recipes, please visit: http://ciaofromdebbie.com
About the authorView all articles by: Debbie Peck
26 September, 2017
19 September, 2017
12 September, 2017
05 September, 2017
29 August, 2017
22 August, 2017
15 August, 2017
08 August, 2017
01 August, 2017
25 July, 2017