Black Forest Brownies
The wonderful combination of chocolate, cherries and whipped cream says, “Schwarzwald Küchen” (Black Forest Cake) to a North American, even without the kirsch!
Yield: serves 8
- 1/2 C. (125 ml) oil
- 1 C. (250 g) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 C. (90 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 C. (85 g) flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 C. (250 ml) good quality cherry preserves
- 2 C. (500 ml) heavy cream
- 4 T. sugar
Garnish: grated chocolate (4 oz./100 g), whipped cream, maraschino cherries
1. Combine oil, sugar, and eggs. Mix well. Add vanilla.
2. Add dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon for no more than 50 strokes.
3. Spread batter in a greased 9-inch (23 cm.) pan; bake at 350° F (180° C) for 25-30 minutes. A toothpick will not come out clean — do not overbake. Set aside to cool.
4. Spread cherry preserves over cooled brownies.
5. Whip the cream until foamy; add the sugar, 1 T. at a time, and continue beating until stiff. Set aside 1 C. of whipped cream for garnish.
6. With a vegetable peeler or grater, shave a chocolate bar. Fold the shavings into the remaining whipped cream. Spread over brownies.
7. Cut brownies into 8 pieces. Plate each one and top with a small dollop of reserved, plain whipped cream and a cherry.
If you enjoyed this recipe you might want to purchase the PDF version of Debbie’s cookbook Around Our Table, a great way to keep your recipes handy no matter where you are in the world. For more information, go to http://ciaofromdebbie.com/cookbooks/
For additional recipes, please visit: http://ciaofromdebbie.com
About the authorView all articles by: Debbie Peck
26 September, 2017
19 September, 2017
12 September, 2017
05 September, 2017
29 August, 2017
22 August, 2017
15 August, 2017
08 August, 2017
01 August, 2017
25 July, 2017