The wonderful combination of chocolate, cherries and whipped cream says, “Schwarzwald Küchen” (Black Forest Cake) to a North American, even without the kirsch!
Yield: serves 8
- 1/2 C. (125 ml) oil
- 1 C. (250 g) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 C. (90 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 C. (85 g) flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 C. (250 ml) good quality cherry preserves
- 2 C. (500 ml) heavy cream
- 4 T. sugar
Garnish: grated chocolate (4 oz./100 g), whipped cream, maraschino cherries
1. Combine oil, sugar, and eggs. Mix well. Add vanilla.
2. Add dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon for no more than 50 strokes.
3. Spread batter in a greased 9-inch (23 cm.) pan; bake at 350° F (180° C) for 25-30 minutes. A toothpick will not come out clean — do not overbake. Set aside to cool.
4. Spread cherry preserves over cooled brownies.
5. Whip the cream until foamy; add the sugar, 1 T. at a time, and continue beating until stiff. Set aside 1 C. of whipped cream for garnish.
6. With a vegetable peeler or grater, shave a chocolate bar. Fold the shavings into the remaining whipped cream. Spread over brownies.
7. Cut brownies into 8 pieces. Plate each one and top with a small dollop of reserved, plain whipped cream and a cherry.
If you enjoyed this recipe you might want to purchase the PDF version of Debbie’s cookbook Around Our Table, a great way to keep your recipes handy no matter where you are in the world. For more information, go to http://ciaofromdebbie.com/cookbooks/
For additional recipes, please visit: http://ciaofromdebbie.com