German Potato Salad
A sweet and tangy salad that makes you want to say, “Um — pah — pah!”
Yield: serves 8
- 4 large potatoes or 8 medium potatoes (3 lbs./1.5 kg.)
- 8 oz. (200 g) bacon or diced smoked ham
- 1/2 C. onion, finely chopped
- 2 T. flour
- 2 T. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. thyme
- 3/4 C. (180 ml) water
- 1/4 C. (65 ml) vinegar
1. Peel and boil potatoes in a large pot of salted water until tender. Drain and cool slightly. Slice or dice the potatoes.
2. Sauté bacon or ham until crisp. Add onion and cook until translucent.
3. Add flour, sugar, salt, and thyme to the onion mixture. Stir well to blend.
4. Combine water and vinegar; add to flour mixture and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add a bit more water if the mixture seems too thick. Pour over potatoes and stir gently. Serve warm.
If you enjoyed this recipe you might want to purchase the PDF version of Debbie’s cookbook Around Our Table, a great way to keep your recipes handy no matter where you are in the world. For more information, go to http://ciaofromdebbie.com/cookbooks/
For additional recipes, please visit: http://ciaofromdebbie.com
About the authorView all articles by: Debbie Peck
16 October, 2018
09 October, 2018
02 October, 2018
25 September, 2018
18 September, 2018
11 September, 2018
04 September, 2018
28 August, 2018
21 August, 2018
14 August, 2018