Don’t you hate when your baked chicken cutlets are dry? I’ve found that putting the creamy ricotta filling inside of the cutlet helps moisten the chicken. By open- ing up the cutlet, you allow it to be cooked through more quickly — while the creamy filling tucked inside only has to be heated through.
Yield: serves 8
- 2 C. (500 g) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 C. (20 g) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp. basil (or 1 T. fresh basil, chopped)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 8 chicken cutlets
- 1 C. (150 g) dry bread crumbs (preferably Italian crumbs, or add a dash of salt and basil to regular crumbs)
- 4 T. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 C. (500 ml) simple tomato sauce (or purchased marinara sauce)
- 2 C. (250 g) shredded mozzarella
1. In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, Parmesan, basil, and salt.
2. Lay each cutlet flat and cut a pocket into the widest part. Fill the pocket with about 1/4 C. of the cheese filling.
3. Place crumbs in a shallow bowl and dip each cutlet into them.
4. Heat the olive oil and whole garlic cloves in a medium skillet over medium heat and brown the breaded cutlets just until golden brown.
5. Spoon a few tablespoons of sauce into a casserole dish that is large enough to hold the cutlets side by side. Place the browned cutlets in the casserole dish, and top with a few more tablespoons of sauce.
6. Bake uncovered at 375° F (190° C) for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with mozzarella and bake 10 minutes more.
Variation: Reduce ricotta cheese to 1 1/2 C. and add 1/2-2/3 C. chopped, cooked spinach to the mixture. This can be leftover spinach, or sauté it in a little olive oil and garlic.
If you enjoyed this recipe you might want to purchase the PDF version of Debbie’s cookbook Around Our Table, a great way to keep your recipes handy no matter where you are in the world. For more information, go to http://ciaofromdebbie.com/cookbooks/
For additional recipes, please visit: http://ciaofromdebbie.com
About the authorView all articles by: Debbie Peck
17 April, 2018
10 April, 2018
03 April, 2018
27 March, 2018
20 March, 2018
13 March, 2018
06 March, 2018
27 February, 2018
20 February, 2018
13 February, 2018