Our family loves the interesting combination of sweet and picant flavors that are characteristic of some Asian foods, such as this one.
Yield: 8 servings
- 1/4 C. (65 ml) peanut butter
- 1/4 C. (65 ml) soy sauce
- 2/3 C. (160 ml) fresh lime juice (about 4 limes)
- 1 C. (250 ml) chicken broth
- 1/4 C. (60 g) sugar
- 1/2 C. (125 ml) coconut milk (or soak 1/2 C. grated, unsweetened coconut in 1/2 C. milk)
- 6 T. cornstarch (divided)
- 1/4 C. (65 ml) water
- 6 chicken cutlets (1.5-2 lbs.), cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm.) pieces
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1-2 small, hot chiles, thinly sliced (remove seeds for less heat)
- 2-3 T. chopped, fresh ginger or 1-2 tsp. powdered ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3-6 T. vegetable oil
- 3-4 C. (500 g) snow peas or blanched fresh green beans
- 3-4 C. broccoli or cauliflower florets
1. Combine peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, broth, sugar, and coconut milk in a small bowl; set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, combine 4 T. cornstarch and water.
3. In a large, flat dish, combine chicken pieces, 2 T. cornstarch and next 4 ingredients. Heat a little oil in a large skillet over medium heat and cook the chicken in batches, so as not to crowd the pan, setting each batch aside until all is browned.
4. Add 1 T. oil to the skillet and stir-fry the snow peas (or beans) until crisp ten- der. Add to browned chicken.
5. Add 1 T. oil and stir-fry broccoli or cauliflower until crisp tender. Add to chicken and peas/beans.
6. Combine peanut sauce mixture and cornstarch mixture. Heat in skillet until it comes to a boil; add chicken and veggies to the sauce and heat through. Serve over white steamed rice.
If you enjoyed this recipe you might want to purchase the PDF version of Debbie’s cookbook Around Our Table, a great way to keep your recipes handy no matter where you are in the world. For more information, go to http://ciaofromdebbie.com/cookbooks/
For additional recipes, please visit: http://ciaofromdebbie.com
About the authorView all articles by: Debbie Peck
21 November, 2017
20 November, 2017
14 November, 2017
07 November, 2017
06 November, 2017
05 November, 2017
04 November, 2017
03 November, 2017
02 November, 2017
01 November, 2017