One of our favorite places to go for vacation is near Catania, Sicily. www.laterradeisogni.com Giuseppe and Aura run a family horticultural business, in addition to their agriturismo — accommodations that allow you to experience their agricultural life. Enjoying a meal together one evening, I learned how to make this delicious side dish.
Yield: 8-10 servings
- 2 large eggplant, about 2 lbs./1 kg.
- 1-2 cloves garlic, smashed, or finely minced
- 1/4 C. fresh parsley, finely minced
- 1/4 C. (65 ml) olive oil
1. Slice eggplant into 1/2-inch (1.5 cm.) slices.
2. Grill for several minutes on each side until tender. I like to salt them lightly on the uncooked side after putting them on the grill. It seems to enhance flavor to salt lightly at each level of preparation, rather than just adding a lot of salt at the end. Set the slices aside until all are cooked.
3. Stack up several slices of eggplant together and cut into 1/4-inch (5 cm.) strips. Put all the slivered eggplant in a glass bowl.
4. Sprinkle with salt to taste and stir in the garlic and parsley. Drizzle gradually with olive oil, adding more if the mixture seems dry. Amounts vary depending on size of eggplant. Serve warm; if made the day before, bring to room temperature before serving with bread.
If you enjoyed this recipe you might want to purchase the PDF version of Debbie’s cookbook Around Our Table, a great way to keep your recipes handy no matter where you are in the world. For more information, go to http://ciaofromdebbie.
For additional recipes, please visit: http://ciaofromdebbie.com
About the authorView all articles by: Debbie Peck
23 May, 2017
16 May, 2017
09 May, 2017
02 May, 2017
29 April, 2017
28 April, 2017
27 April, 2017
26 April, 2017
25 April, 2017
25 April, 2017