- 2 C. canned or rehydrated beans (barlotti beans, kidney beans, black beans)
- 2 T. bacon drippings, margarine or oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 small onion
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Milk or bean liquid
- If using dry beans, soak them overnight or by quick method.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer slowly until beans are tender, about 1 hour.
- Drain beans, reserving liquid.
- In a heavy frying pan, heat the bacon drippings, margarine or oil.
- Add the garlic and onion; cook until tender.
- Add beans and mash them with a potato masher. Add a little of the reserved liquid or some milk and continue cooking and mashing until beans are thickened to the consistency you want.
If you enjoyed this recipe you might want to purchase the PDF version of Debbie’s cookbook Around Our Table, a great way to keep your recipes handy no matter where you are in the world. For more information, go to http://ciaofromdebbie.
For additional recipes, please visit: http://ciaofromdebbie.com