Chocolate Snack Cake
Incredibly easy, fast and versatile
- 1 2/3 cups flour 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- ¼ cup cocoa pwd 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vinegar ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix flour, brown sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt into bowl with fork.
- Stir in water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla completely.
- Pour into ungreased square pan – 8 x 8 inches.
- Bake until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Dust with powdered sugar if desired. (Cake can be mixed in pan too.)
- Double for 9 x 13 pan.
- Great plain, better with whipped cream or ice cream.
- Best if eaten fresh.
Apple Sauce Cake: Omit cocoa and vanilla. Stir 1 ½ teaspoons all-spice (or a combo of cinnamon and ginger and cloves) into flour. Reduce water to ½ cup and stir in ½ cup applesauce.
Chocolate Chunk or Chip Cake: Omit cocoa and vanilla. Stir 1/3 cup chopped nuts into flour mixture. Sprinkle 1/3 cup mini chocolate pieces over batter in pan.
Double Chocolate Cake: Sprinkle ½ cup chocolate chips or broken pieces of chocolate over batter in pan.
Oatmeal Molasses Cake: Omit cocoa and vanilla. Stir ¾ cup dry oatmeal and 1 teaspoon allspice (or a combo of cinnamon and ginger and cloves) into flour mixture. Stir in 2 Tablespoons molasses into water. (add raisins and or nuts if desired or available)
Brown Sugar Cake: Omit cocoa and vanilla. Stir 1/3 cup chopped nuts into flour mixture.
Pumpkin Cake: Omit cocoa and vanilla. Stir 1 teaspoon allspice into flour mixture. Reduce water to ½ cup and stir in ½ cooked pumpkin or orange squash.
Chocolate Mint Cake: Stir in ½ teaspoon peppermint extract into the water.
About the author
Anna McShane* directs an English program and lectures at a large public university in China. Over four decades with SEND International www.send.org, she traveled as a journalist in all of SEND’s 20 areas. She can also be found speaking to women’s conferences and sharing her life with college students. In addition to writing for THRIVE, you can find her at: www.themissionsblog.org/author/anna-mcshane/ and www.whileiwasgoing.blogspot.com *for security reasons, this is not her actual name.View all articles by: Anna McShane
23 May, 2017
16 May, 2017
09 May, 2017
02 May, 2017
29 April, 2017
28 April, 2017
27 April, 2017
26 April, 2017
25 April, 2017
25 April, 2017