Incredibly easy, fast and versatile
- 1 2/3 cups flour 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- ¼ cup cocoa pwd 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vinegar ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix flour, brown sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt into bowl with fork.
- Stir in water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla completely.
- Pour into ungreased square pan – 8 x 8 inches.
- Bake until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Dust with powdered sugar if desired. (Cake can be mixed in pan too.)
- Double for 9 x 13 pan.
- Great plain, better with whipped cream or ice cream.
- Best if eaten fresh.
Apple Sauce Cake: Omit cocoa and vanilla. Stir 1 ½ teaspoons all-spice (or a combo of cinnamon and ginger and cloves) into flour. Reduce water to ½ cup and stir in ½ cup applesauce.
Chocolate Chunk or Chip Cake: Omit cocoa and vanilla. Stir 1/3 cup chopped nuts into flour mixture. Sprinkle 1/3 cup mini chocolate pieces over batter in pan.
Double Chocolate Cake: Sprinkle ½ cup chocolate chips or broken pieces of chocolate over batter in pan.
Oatmeal Molasses Cake: Omit cocoa and vanilla. Stir ¾ cup dry oatmeal and 1 teaspoon allspice (or a combo of cinnamon and ginger and cloves) into flour mixture. Stir in 2 Tablespoons molasses into water. (add raisins and or nuts if desired or available)
Brown Sugar Cake: Omit cocoa and vanilla. Stir 1/3 cup chopped nuts into flour mixture.
Pumpkin Cake: Omit cocoa and vanilla. Stir 1 teaspoon allspice into flour mixture. Reduce water to ½ cup and stir in ½ cooked pumpkin or orange squash.
Chocolate Mint Cake: Stir in ½ teaspoon peppermint extract into the water.