6 pieces of chicken (legs, thighs, breasts, etc.)
4 cups boiling water
3 cups of rice, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
6 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 teaspoons of ground cumin
1 cup blended cilantro leaves (with ¼ tsp. salt)
1 cup of raw peas
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped (save the other half to cut into strips for decoration when serving)
1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped into small cubes
salt and pepper to taste
1. Season the pieces of chicken with salt and pepper.
2. Brown them in the hot oil in a large pot.
3. Remove the chicken pieces and put aside.
4. In the same oil, brown the onion and then add the garlic.
5. When garlic begins to brown, add the cilantro and cumin. Cook and stir briefly over medium heat.
6. Add the carrots, bell pepper and peas, 4 cups of boiling water and then the browned chicken pieces.
7. Let it come to a boil and then add the rice.
8. Taste and add salt, if necessary. I usually add a couple of teaspoons, but it depends how much you salted the chicken before you browned it.
9. When it comes to a boil again, heat on low (simmer) and cook until water is absorbed and rice is cooked (about 30 minutes).
10. Stir gently with a fork before serving.