Yield: Makes 2 C.
- 1/4 C. sesame seeds
- 2 C. (1 can) chickpeas or cannellini beans
- 1 clove garlic
- 3-4 T. lemon juice
- 4 T. olive oil
- Toast the sesame seeds in a small frying pan until golden brown. Toasting them gives the hummus a deeper flavor, however, they burn easily so watch them closely.
- Cool the browned seeds slightly and then process them in a food processor or blender until they are finely ground.
- Add the beans, garlic, lemon juice and 2 T. olive oil. Process. Add remaining olive oil if it seems too dry. If, after adding all of it you feel it is still too dry, add 1-2 T. water. There is some variation here depending on how soft and moist the beans are.
- Process until smooth. Serve with vegetables, pita bread or crackers.
Herbed Hummus. A small bunch of basil, parsley and/or spinach will turn the hummus a lovely, light green and give it a fresh flavor. Roasted Red Pepper Hummus: Add some finely chopped roasted red peppers for even more flavor and color.
For additional recipes, please visit: http://ciaofromdebbie.com