Comfort food at its best! My mother-in-law showed me how to make this soup–a childhood favorite of my husband’s. It then became a family favorite, with the kids eager to see how many chunks of Parmesan they could find hidden in their bowl.
Yield: Serves 4-6
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 large fresh tomato, peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2-3 T. fresh parsley or 1 T. dried parsley
- 5 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 C. small pasta shapes (or more if desired)
- Small chunks of Parmesan, preferably some pieces of rind (optional but oh, so good!)
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion in olive oil until tender.
- Add the tomato and celery. Cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add parsley and potatoes and cover with water. Simmer at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally. You’ll be disappointed if you shortcut the cooking time!
- Add the pasta and cook 10-15 minutes more. Alternately, you can cook the pasta separately and place some in each person’s bowl before spooning the soup over it.
- You can also either add some small chunks of Parmesan to the pot during the last 2-3 minutes of cooking, or else place some in each person’s bowl before spooning the soup over them.
For additional recipes, please visit: http://ciaofromdebbie.com