Pasta & Potatoes
Comfort food at its best! My mother-in-law showed me how to make this soup–a childhood favorite of my husband’s. It then became a family favorite, with the kids eager to see how many chunks of Parmesan they could find hidden in their bowl.
Yield: Serves 4-6
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 large fresh tomato, peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2-3 T. fresh parsley or 1 T. dried parsley
- 5 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 C. small pasta shapes (or more if desired)
- Small chunks of Parmesan, preferably some pieces of rind (optional but oh, so good!)
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion in olive oil until tender.
- Add the tomato and celery. Cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add parsley and potatoes and cover with water. Simmer at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally. You’ll be disappointed if you shortcut the cooking time!
- Add the pasta and cook 10-15 minutes more. Alternately, you can cook the pasta separately and place some in each person’s bowl before spooning the soup over it.
- You can also either add some small chunks of Parmesan to the pot during the last 2-3 minutes of cooking, or else place some in each person’s bowl before spooning the soup over them.
For additional recipes, please visit: http://ciaofromdebbie.com
About the authorView all articles by: Debbie Peck
17 October, 2017
10 October, 2017
03 October, 2017
26 September, 2017
19 September, 2017
12 September, 2017
05 September, 2017
29 August, 2017
22 August, 2017
15 August, 2017