Spinach & Mushroom Lasagna
Posted on: March 07, 2014 Written by Debbie Peck
Photography by: Debbie Peck
Yield: Serves 8 as first course dish
- 1/3 C. (75 g) butter
- 1/3 C. (40 g) flour
- 1 1/2 C. (375 ml) milk
- 1 1/2 C. (375 ml) chicken broth
- 1 C. (40 g) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 C. (350 g) ricotta cheese
- 2 C. (250 g) mozzarella cheese
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 C. (4 oz./100 g) mushrooms, sliced
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 1/2 C. cooked, chopped spinach (If using frozen, use 1 1/2 (10 oz./300 g) packages; thaw and squeeze out excess liquid)
- 2 egg yolks
- Dash thyme, nutmeg, salt
- Approximately 12 lasagna noodles, or homemade pasta
- To make Bechamel sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in the flour until well blended and add the milk, chicken broth, and a dash of thyme. If you use chicken broth (not bouillon) you’ll need to add salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Combine 1 C. of this sauce with 1 C. Parmesan cheese. Add the ricotta and shredded mozzarella. Set mixture aside. Cover and set aside remaining Bechamel sauce.
- In a medium-sized skillet, saute the garlic and mushrooms in olive oil. Add the thawed, chopped spinach and saute until all liquid has evaporated. Cool slightly. Add to the above cheese mixture.
- Add 2 egg yolks, a pinch of nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and put in a bowl of cool water and drain again immediately.
- Spread some Bechamel sauce in the bottom of a 9X13-inch (23X33 cm.) baking dish.
- Place noodles on top of sauce. Spread one third of cheese/spinach mixture over noodles. Continue layering noodles and cheese/spinach mixture. You should have a total of 4 layers of noodles and 3 layers of filling. On top of the last layer of noodles, cover generously with Bechamel sauce and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 350° F (180° C) covered with foil. Uncover and bake 15 minutes or until browned. Cool 10 minutes before cutting.
For additional recipes, please visit: http://ciaofromdebbie.com
About the authorView all articles by: Debbie Peck
16 January, 2018
10 January, 2018
02 January, 2018
26 December, 2017
19 December, 2017
12 December, 2017
05 December, 2017
28 November, 2017
21 November, 2017
20 November, 2017