Portraits of Kingdom Living – Lesson Six
The Centurion: An Uncommon Faith
I. DAY ONE
A. Focus: Meditate on the FAITHFULNESS of God this week as you pray through Psalm 33. Begin with Psalm 33:1-5
1. What are some things we are encouraged to ‘have faith’ in, in our culture today? Are these things steadfast? Can we always rely on them? Why not?
2. Today, we are going to study the VALUE of FAITH. Read the following verses and listen to WHY faith is so valuable. What does faith bring us? Use the following verses to answer:
a. II Chronicles 20:20
b. Romans 11:20
c. II Corinthians 1:24
d. I John 5:4
e. Isaiah 7:9
Can you write one sentence acknowledging the value of faith from these verses?
3. Why is faith so valuable according to the following verses?
a. John 3:15
b. Acts 16:31
c. Romans 9:30-32
d. Galatians 2:16
e. Ephesians 2:8-9
f. Philippians 3:9
In a sentence, from these verses; what do we gain by faith?
4. What else do we receive by faith according to Galatians 3:5?
5. Knowing these truths from above, how are we to live according to II Corinthians 5:7? Keeping in mind the verses you’ve studied today, what do you think it means to ‘live by faith’?
C. Fill: Hebrews 11:6 says that without faith it is impossible to please God. Faith takes the focus off of our efforts and places our trust in the work of God through Jesus Christ. How valuable is your faith? Mediate on the verses above, and secure in your mind WHO the object of your faith is. Do you walk by faith and not sight? Talk to God about His words to you.
D. Follow: Keep memorizing Psalm 63. Write out Psalm 63:4.
II. DAY TWO
A. Focus: Psalm 33:6-11
B. Feed: A simple definition of the word FAITH is taking God at His word. Keep that in mind as you do your study today. Invite the Holy Spirit to teach you through His word today.
1. Continuing our treasure hunt on faith, look up Luke 17:5. What do the apostles ask of Jesus?
a. What do the following verses say about faith?
- Romans 12:3
- I Corinthians 2:4-5
- I Corinthians 12:8-9
- Romans 10:17
b. Where does faith come from?
c. What is the purpose of faith according to the following verses?
- Psalm 119:97-105; 129-131
- John 8:31-32
- II Timothy 2:15
- I John 2:5, 14
Finish this sentence: The purpose of faith is…
2. Living by faith (trusting in God and His word) changes us and empowers us.
a. What do the following verses say about the strength we gain through faith?
- Romans 6:12-14
- Philippians 4:6-7
- II Thessalonians 3:3
- II Timothy 4: 7-8
Faith strengthens me in these ways:
3. How does faith transform us according to the following verses?
a. Romans 8:29
b. I Corinthians 15:49
c. II Corinthians 3:18
Faith transforms me into the image of:
C. Fill: Isn’t faith amazing? It saves us, teaches us, protects us, strengthens us and transforms us! And it has nothing to do with our ability, but it’s all about the OBJECT of our faith which is Jesus Christ and Him crucified. Are you thankful for this free gift? Spend some time reflecting on the verses above and express your thanks to your Faithful Father!
D. Follow: In your journal, make a FAITH list. What does faith do? Keep memorizing Psalm 63:4.
III. DAY THREE
A. Focus: Psalm 33:12-15
B. Feed: Could there be more about FAITH? YES! It is an incredible gift.
1. What are some of the effects of faith according to these verses?
a. Galatians 5:5-6
b. I Thessalonians 1:3
c. I Thessalonians 2:13
d. II Thessalonians 1:11
e. James 1:3
Finish this sentence: Faith affects me in these ways…
2. Faith alone is what gives us righteousness. What do the following verses say?
a. Romans 1:17
b. Romans 3:21-30
c. Galatians 2:16
d. Philippians 3:9
e. Hebrews 11:17
Finish this sentence: We are declared righteous…
3. What else can we learn about faith from the following verses (hang in there . . . your faith is being fed through these truths!)
a. Hebrews 11:1
b. Hebrews 11:6
c. Matthew 21:21
d. Hebrews 4:1-2
e. Hebrews 6:12
4. In the New Testament, the words “faith” and “believe” occur almost 500 times. We could keep going and going! It is a study worthy of our time. Read the following two verses again, and thoughtfully respond to them. What do these verses say to you?
a. I Timothy 4:10
b. II Timothy 4:7-8
C. Fill: What is waiting for those who ‘keep the faith’? Will it be worth it? How much is it worth to you? Are you longing for His appearing? Will you be ashamed to face Him? How is your faith? Do you need to cry out with the apostles…Lord, increase my faith? You should have a good grasp of what Biblical faith is by now. Do you have it? Talk to God about your faith.
D. Follow: Keep memorizing Psalm 63:4.
IV. DAY FOUR
A. Focus: Psalm 33:16-22
B. Feed: Now that we have defined faith, let’s look at a biblical character who demonstrated it.
1. Read Luke 7:1-10. A centurion was a sergeant major in the Roman army. He was in charge of 100 men.
a. Who was sick?
b. Had the centurion ever met Jesus?
c. Whom did he send to Jesus?
d. What had this centurion (Gentile) done for the Jewish nation? Why?
e. What message does the centurion send to Jesus when Jesus was not far from the house? (vv. 6-7) What do you learn about the centurion from this message?
f. Read verse 8 again. The centurion seems to know that Jesus is a man under authority like himself. Whose authority is Jesus under? (See John 14:10-11.)
g. Did the centurion have any doubt that Jesus had the power to heal his servant?
2. What amazed Jesus?
3. Remember Hebrews 11:6 said that without faith it is impossible to please God? Think about it from God’s perspective: Why do you think our faith would please Him so?
4. What does Jesus say in Luke 18:8? What is He looking for?
5. We don’t have faith in an unstable person or object, but in the steadfastness of Almighty God. What do the following verses say about the faithfulness of God toward us?
a. Deuteronomy 7:9
b. Deuteronomy 32:4
c. Psalm 25:10
d. Psalm 33:4
e. Psalm 145:13
f. I Thessalonians 5:23-24
C. Fill: Do you believe God is faithful to you? Is He worthy of your faith in Him? A thousand times, YES! Meditate on the verses about God’s faithfulness to you. He is faithful even when we are faithless because that is WHO He is. . .that is WHO we have the privilege of trusting with our faith (II Tim. 2:13). Faith is strengthened through standing on (applying) God’s word (Matthew 7:24). How is your faith? If it’s not secured 100% in the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, it is on shifting sand. Spend a few minutes in silence before God’s throne, inviting Him to evaluate your faith in line with what you have studied. Would Jesus be amazed by it? Is your desire that it grow? Express your heart to Him.
D. Follow: In your journal, record any truths about faith that you want to remember and meditate on. Pick out 1 or 2 verses to really embrace and act upon. Review Psalm 63:4.
V. DAY FIVE
And without faith it is impossible to please God.
Jesus said that we build a strong foundation as we put His word into practice (Matthew 7:24). This part of the lesson is a little more abstract than days 1-4. There are no right or wrong answers. The goal of this day is to solidify in your mind and heart what you are learning from God’s word.
1. Look back over your lesson for this week. For each day’s lesson, write one or two key points:
2. What verses seem to stand out to you from your study?
3. Why did you pick these verses?
4. What is one lesson or principle you want to remember from your study?
5. How will you apply this lesson to your everyday life?
B. Summary: The Centurion’s Portrait of Kingdom Living
- What did the Centurion’s life teach you about living with the Kingdom of God as your primary concern?
- Conclude this lesson by reviewing what you’ve written above with your Father.
- Write your memory verse(s).
About the author
I've been a Bible Study teacher for years! I LOVE God's word and am thrilled when others fall in love with it too. However, I've noticed that too many of us stop at the 'information' part of study and don't take the time for the 'transformational' power of lingering with the Living Word. I hope you will journey with me as we listen to what the Spirit in us longs to teach us as we pay attention to His Voice. May God richly bless you with deep roots in Him.View all articles by: Grace Cabalka
14 August, 2018
07 August, 2018
31 July, 2018
24 July, 2018
18 July, 2018
17 July, 2018
15 July, 2018
14 July, 2018
13 July, 2018
13 July, 2018