‘First Love’ Life – Lesson 8
Jesus is Supreme
Worthy of our First Supreme Love
Jesus is the image of the invisible God,
the firstborn of all creation.
For by Him all things were created:
visible and invisible,
whether thrones or powers
or rulers or authorities;
All things were created by Him
And for Him.
He is before all things,
and in Him all things hold together.
And He is the Head of the body,
He is the beginning
and the firstborn from among the dead,
so that in everything
He might have the Supremacy.
For God was pleased to have all his fullness
Dwell in Him
And through Him
To reconcile all things,
whether things on earth or things in heaven,
By making peace
Through His blood,
Shed on the cross.
— Colossians 1:15-20
Think about all we’ve studied in the last eight weeks, and answer these questions from your own point of understanding:
- What does the cross mean to you?
- Why was/is the cross necessary?
- Why did Jesus have to be the One to die the brutal death?
- What did His death accomplish?
- Is there any other way to have peace with God? Explain.
- Do you see any correlation between taking up your cross and loving Jesus first? What do you think this means?
Review: For the next three days, we will look back on what God has given us through this study. For each lesson, summarize what the Lord spoke to you about. Finish the lessons you didn’t have time to finish. Ask God to embed His truth into your heart and mind in such a way that your life will reflect all He means to you and all you mean to Him.
A. Lesson 1
B. Lesson 2
A. Lesson 3
B. Lesson 4
A. Lesson 5
B. Lesson 6
A. Lesson 7
Wrapping Up This Week
Go back read the passage at the beginning of this lesson from Colossians 1 again, slowly, aloud.
- THIS IS OUR FIRST LOVE! Who is He?
- How has your walk with God been challenged through this study?
- Is there anything passive about this relationship? Share your thoughts.
- Jesus promised joy, blessing, peace and abundance if we will remain in Him (John 14-15). What are some ways you will put this into practice?
- Is there anything you know that you need to confess in order to walk more closely with Him? James taught that if we confess our sins to one another we will be healed. (James 5:16)
- Are you prepared to look different from our culture because you carry the cross of Christ? What might this mean for you personally?
- You were created by Jesus and for Jesus. How does that affect the way you view your everyday life?
- Lastly, Jesus said that we love Him by loving one another as He loved us. What does that mean and how will that affect your day-to-day life?
Oh First Love,
We offer this study to You in your name, Jesus, for Your glory. We know it is flawed and is in need of covering by your grace. It is impossible to exhaust the subject of loving You first. Every page of Scripture screams of Your unfailing love for us. We could go on and on. But Lord, please don’t let us miss it. Don’t let us miss Your call on our lives. You’ve created us for You and You have purchased us for YOU. Free us from ourselves, Lord. Show us what it means to die to ourselves and live in You. Give us tender ears to hear Your quiet voice. Remove the blinders that keep us from living each day fully for You. Oh God, send revival in and through us. May we not conform any longer to this world, but truly be transformed by You. Give us eyes to see those in need around us and empower us to love them for You. Each and every day, Lord, may we in some way lay down our lives for You, as You did for us. Thank you, dear Lord. May You receive all glory, honor and praise.
Through the powerful name of Jesus, Amen.
About the author
I've been a Bible Study teacher for years! I LOVE God's word and am thrilled when others fall in love with it too. However, I've noticed that too many of us stop at the 'information' part of study and don't take the time for the 'transformational' power of lingering with the Living Word. I hope you will journey with me as we listen to what the Spirit in us longs to teach us as we pay attention to His Voice. May God richly bless you with deep roots in Him.View all articles by: Grace Cabalka
14 August, 2018
07 August, 2018
31 July, 2018
24 July, 2018
18 July, 2018
17 July, 2018
15 July, 2018
14 July, 2018
13 July, 2018
13 July, 2018