Celebrate God’s Awesomeness
CELEBRATE GOD’S AWESOMENESS:
“How awesome is the LORD Most High, the great King over all the earth!” Psa. 47:2
Commentators believe this Psalm was a call to Israel and struggling nations to STOP and worship their awesome King. In these troubled times here on earth, when we are confounded by so much discouraging and negative information, it is good for us to STOP and celebrate the Lord’s sovereign rule over all the earth!
1. Read Psalm 47. According to verse 1, what form of worship was this Psalm written for? What was the mood of this song?
2. Who was invited to join in the celebration?
3. According to verse 2, why should God be worshiped with such enthusiasm? (Note: The word “awesome,” sometimes translated “terrible,” is related to “reverent fear.” )
4. Read Psa. 66:3, 6, and Psa. 99:3. Why is God awesome?
5. What would you consider to be mighty works of God on your behalf? What is your response?
6. The “us” in verse 3 is Israel. What has God done for them? (Note: The “inheritance” in verse 4 refers to the land of Canaan given to Israel by God as He enabled them to conquer enemy nations.)
7. “Ascended” in verse 5 refers to God ascending His throne. As you read verses 5-9, can you imagine this royal celebration, the Lord’s coronation as King? Describe this event from verses 5-9.
8. If you were in attendance at the celebration you just described, what would occupy your mind? What do you think would happen to any negative thoughts and emotions if you focused on the King’s sovereign control of everything?
9. When you consider all the turmoil among the nations today, what encouragement do you get from verses 7-9?
10. Is God greatly exalted in your thought life? Explain.
11. STOP! Celebrate, by writing your own personal worship praise song, poem, or psalm expressing your praise to God your sovereign King.
“Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” Psa. 46:10 NASB
Come, Thou Almighty King
Come, thou Almighty King,
Help us thy name to sing,
Help us to praise:
Father! all glorious,
O’er all victorious,
Come, and reign over us,
Ancient of Days.
To thee, great One in Three,
The highest praises be,
Thy sov’reign majesty
May we in glory see,
And to eternity
Love and adore.
© Copyright 2005 Bonnie Lisech (Permission granted to copy for nonprofit use.) Scriptures are taken from the NIV unless noted. [email protected]
With special thanks to Jan Harris for editorial perspective and Barb Snyder for editorial detail.
About the author
Bonnie was a member of Circle Community Church in Orlando, FL for over 30 years before moving to Arkansas. She served in the teaching ministry in adult Women's Sunday School and in discipleship of individuals and groups. She enjoys writing encouragement letters for the women of Pioneers, Bible studies for Deeper Roots Publications and Thrive. She has also written Jr. and Sr. high and adult Bible curriculum for home school and Christian schools. In addition, she has authored three books: "Fruit that Remains, Spiritual Growth Through Life Experience," and 2 "Encouragement for Home School Moms" studies. Bonnie's Purpose Statement: My purpose is to help believers "think deeply" in Scripture, to know God, and to understand and apply truth in their lives through the enabling of the Holy Spirit, thereby, assisting them to grow progressively in their relationship and fellowship with Christ, and to mature spiritually to the glory of God. Howard and Bonnie served as missionaries in Papua, New Guinea with New Tribes Mission and are now serving part-time with PIONEERS. They have been blessed with five children, four in-law children, and 12 grandchildren.View all articles by: Bonnie Lisech
19 March, 2019
12 March, 2019
05 March, 2019
26 February, 2019
21 February, 2019
21 February, 2019
19 February, 2019
19 February, 2019
18 February, 2019
17 February, 2019